News

Sue and David attended the formal unveiling of a plaque by The Honourable Dame Marie Bashir AD CVO, patron of the Macquarie Society, to commemorate the restoration of the two storey convict barracks (circa 1820 – 1822) at O’Connell .

The homestead “Macquarie” has also been restored and was open for viewing.

The original 1000 acre land grant is believed to have been granted by Governor Lachlan Macquarie to Lieutenant William Lawson, in recognition of Lawson’s role in navigating a way across the Blue Mountains. The property “Macquarie” is the oldest farm and oldest continuing residence west of the Great Divide.  

 

 

Click here to go back