2011 Review of evidence related to Eucalyptus Distilling at 'Girraween' Hill Top for Wingecarribee Shire Council. The Australian Eucalyptus Oil Company plant at Towrang, 1902. IndustrialSocial HistoryArchaeologicalSydney SurroundsResearch Author: Dr Sue Rosen Client: Wingecarribee Shire Council An Interim Heritage Order was placed on Girraween at the instigation of Wingecarribee Shire Council in May 2010. This historical report was commissioned by Council to inform the heritage assessment of the property including a review of existing historical data provided to Council. 'Giirraween' was an important eucalyptus distilling site in the early 20th century and its oils won international competitions. Girraween was developed for the production of eucalyptus oil by Daniel Edward Chalker, in the early twentieth century, having purchased Portion 100 of the Parish of Colo in 1895, Daniel added the adjoining Portion 109 to his holdings in 1903. The remaining portions associated with Girraween, No.s 165 and 168, were acquired by Bertram Chalker in 1931 (165) and Raymond Chalker in 1968 (168). These lots and surrounding bushland, however, are likely to have been utilised by Daniel Chalker in his involvement in eucalyptus distilling, in supplying the scientist's at the Sydney Technological Museum with data, leaves and oil and in the supply of waratahs by him and later by his son, Bert's family. Girraween and Hill Top, the locality, were the base for his activity.